South Luangwa National Park
Luwi Camp, nestled in the shade of huge mahogany trees, is close to a permanent hippo and croc filled lagoon. It is situated deep in the heart of the National Park on the dynamic seasonal Luwi River after which it is named. The area is extremely remote with no other camps or people for many miles around. Luwi is an authentic and magical remote bush camp which makes it the perfect camp for walking safaris. The wildlife in the area is prolific and memories of the experience of tracking big game on foot last a lifetime. Walks can be complemented by game drives and explorations upriver to discover the source of the Luwi or to find the elusive Roan antelope or reed buck, eland and hartebeest which are almost never see in other parts of the Park. The chalets, which are built each season using natural materials, blend into the bush and are simple yet extremely comfortable. Each feature the finest feather top bed and shower under the stars in an open en-suite bathroom. With the emphasis on the use of natural materials in its construction, this camp is one of the most traditional of all of the Luangwa safari camps but still offers high levels of comfort and service. Daytime meals are
served in the shade of the mahogany trees and dinner is taken under the stars accompanied by the many sounds of the Zambian night.
The Luwi area is famous for its lions and wild dogs and the thrill of tracking them on foot is an experience not to be missed. There is a large hippo filled lagoon close by with a ‘hide’ for you to watch the animals unnoticed high above the water. Walking safaris from camp usually finish here with sundowners, watching the sunset over a landscape unchanged for thousands of years. This permanent water source attracts wildlife from far and wide making the camp area constantly busy with animals.
Be adventurous and consider a ‘sleep out’ experience under the stars in the spectacular and extremely remote Luwi dry river bed. Fall asleep under the magnificent African sky to the sounds of whooping hyenas and roaring lions whilst a guide and scout keep watch. No tent - just a bed roll and a mosquito net!
AT A GLANCE
- 5 Chalets with private verandah
- Each has an en-suite open-air bathroom, with copious supply of hot water and a flushing toilet
- Located deep in the heart of the National Park, on the dynamic seasonal Luwi River
- More than 60 different mammal species
- Superb birdwatching with over 400 species of birds recorded
- Game drives (day and night); birdwatching
- Walking safaris
- Wildlife hides
- Sleepout Under the Stars (supplementary charge)
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, standard bar drinks and house wines, all game activities and laundry
- Solar power for lighting, battery charging facilities and hot water
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST WALKING SAFARI IN AFRICA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI GUIDING TEAM IN AFRICA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST WALKING SAFARI IN ZAMBIA’ WINNER
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI GUIDING TEAM IN ZAMBIA’ RUNNER UP