South Luangwa National Park
In an enviable location on the edge of a lagoon where hippo chortle and elephant wallow, stands Chindeni - undoubtedly one of the most beautiful tented camps in the South Luangwa. A sublime tented camp on the edge of a permanent lagoon with the Chindeni Hills providing a truly breathtaking backdrop. There's something about sleeping under canvas that ignites a sense of adventure in everyone. At Chindeni you can combine that thrill with style and comfort in one of its four opulent tents. Gaze out from your private veranda onto the lagoon which attracts birds and animals from miles around. Or settle back with a gin-and-tonic in the central lounge and dining area - a glorious expanse of varnished decking arranged on several levels around the surrounding ebony trees, boasting, of course, the same spectacular view of the serene lagoon and its inhabitants. With stripped wooden floors, four-poster beds, cozy sitting rooms, en-suite bathrooms and vaulted canvas ceilings, Chindeni's spacious tents are so inviting you could be forgiven for never wanting to leave your room. Especially when you can see so much wildlife just by stepping onto your own private deck jutting….
out over the lagoon. Two of the tents have twin beds (queen-sized beds), while the other two each have a king bed.
Whether you are in the mood for intrepid exploration or perhaps some more sedentary wildlife viewing, Chindeni will deliver. Avid game viewers and birdwatchers can set out on superb walking safaris, game drives, night drives and scenic sundowner trips in the surrounding area. Or you can just park yourself in a deckchair at camp and watch the abundance of game that is drawn to the lagoon.
Not until you've followed in the footsteps of the great explorers and experienced the compelling mix of excitement, fear, vulnerability, respect and awe that a walking safari delivers, can you really understand the true nature of the African wilderness. There's nothing quite like the thrill of feeling your heart pound in your chest as you tiptoe your way through the bush, alarm calls from other animals echoing in the air, inching towards a small clearing and peering through the branches where yes, there it is a pride of lions is busy devouring a recent kill.
The final member of your walking safari group is the all-important tea-porter. As well as being another valuable set of eyes and ears, he will carry refreshments for your walk. At a suitably scenic point, his bag will open to produce tea and biscuits in the morning, or cold beers and G&Ts in the evening. Should you need a drink of water at any point during the walk, he's the person to ask. It is a rare privilege to be able to walk in an African national park. With so many different habitats to explore, from open plains to sandy river banks, eerie mopane forests to swampy lagoons, no two outings will ever be the same, but we guarantee that you will remember every one.
AT A GLANCE
- 4 spacious tents are raised on wooden decks overlooking the lagoon each tent has its own private view
- Each tent is en-suite with shower, wash basin and toilet
- The central dining area, deck and bar overlook a lagoon with a stunning view across to the Chindeni Hills
- Located in the remote southern part of the South Luangwa National Park
- A tranquil tented camp on the edge of an oxbow lagoon with the Chindeni Hills providing an amazing backdrop
- More than 60 different mammal species
- Superb birdwatching with over 400 species of birds recorded
- Game drives (day and night), birdwatching
- Guided walking safaris
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, bar, game activities and laundry
- Solar power for lighting, battery charging facilities and hot water
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST WALKING SAFARI IN ZAMBIA’ THIRD PLACE
- 2016 - GOOD SAFARI GUIDE AWARDS ‘BEST SAFARI CUISINE IN ZAMBIA’ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED