to – private dining in your suite can be arranged, as can more social meals on the dining deck or even on the edge of the vlei. On clear, cold winter nights keep the chill at bay in front of a roaring fire in the sitting room before retiring to the comfort of a warm bed.
Unwind in the beautiful surrounds of the main guest area, which also includes a handsome library, and a convivial fire pit setting – perfect for pre-dinner drinks! Mealtimes are a delightful affair, with a variety of settings to indulge in the lodge’s delectable menus; one of which is a spacious, all-weather deck that allows for al fresco dining with spectacular views of the surrounding wetland.
Phinda Private Game Reserve encompasses an impressive 71,000 acres of protected wildlife land in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Showcasing one of the continent’s finest game viewing experiences, Phinda is home to Africa’s Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino), as well as 415 bird species. The reserve is particularly well known for close-up sightings of the elegant yet elusive cheetah, as well as the rare black rhino.
With its seven distinct habitats, Phinda is often described as ‘Seven Worlds of Wonder’, a magnificent tapestry of woodland, grassland, wetland and forest, interspersed with mountain ranges, rivers, marshes and pans. Home to 2,475 acres of Africa’s remaining rare dry sand forest, the reserve is situated in close proximity to the unspoiled beaches and spectacular coral reefs of the Indian Ocean, offering an unmatched combination of bush and beach adventures. At Phinda you will experience unforgettable interpretive game drives in open 4x4 safari vehicles, led by professional rangers and Zulu trackers, as well as a wide range of optional adventures in the bush and on the beach.
AT A GLANCE
- 6 air-conditioned suites with private lap pool
- Personalized butler service
- Variety of intimate dining settings
- Situated between two habitats, the forest and the grasslands
- Panoramic views of the wilderness
- Intimate encounters with wildlife, with close-up sightings from bedrooms and bathrooms
- Seven habitats allow for much greater diversity in species and landscapes
- 71,000 acre Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino) private game reserve
- Wildlife includes cheetah, black rhino, nyala and suni
- Twice-daily game drives, including afternoon into evening drives
- Bush walks
- River cruises
- Phinda adventures include Zulu village tours, Maputaland beach adventures, night turtle drives, scuba safaris, black rhino tracking on foot, visits to endangered wild cats project and swimming with whale sharks at an additional charge
- Specialist safaris include birding, photographic, rhino capture and research, tracking, luxury walking, family and private safaris at an additional charge
- In-room massage
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi internet access in suites and guest areas
- 220v AC power
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2019 - PHINDA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE PLACED IN THE TOP 30 RESORTS IN SOUTH AFRICA AT THE CONDÉ NAST TRAVELERS READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS
- 2016 - PHINDA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE WINS THE VIRTUOSO “SUSTAINABLE TOURISM LEADERSHIP AWARDS 2016”
- 2015 - #36 IN THE TOP 100 HOTELS & RESORTS IN THE WORLD AT THE CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER (US) READERS’ CHOICE AWARDS
- 2015 - CONDÉ NAST TRAVELLER INDIA ONE OF SOUTH AFRICA’S SEXIEST WILDLIFE CAMPS
- 2014 - # 10 IN CONDE NAST TRAVELER “BEST RESORTS IN SOUTH AFRICA” AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST CATEGORY