Mnemba Island Lodge
Off the north-eastern tip of Zanzibar lies the private and exclusive Mnemba Island, inhabited only by guests and the staff taking care of them. Just one mile in circumference, Mnemba is surrounded by an atoll of breath-taking coral reefs and boasts some of Africa’s most magnificent dive sites. The calm azure seas surrounding the island offer irresistible snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, fishing, stand-up paddle boarding and permanent swimming directly from the beach. This exquisite private island, with its white coral beaches and spectacular coral reefs, is renowned as one of the most romantic ocean destinations in the world, offering a privacy and rustic exclusivity unparalleled on the African coastline. Mnemba Island offers an unpretentious paradise where just twelve rustic palm-frond bandas are tucked into a tropical forest fringed by a white coral sand beach. Each banda at Mnemba Island has direct access to the beach. A covered walkway leads to a shuttered en-suite bathroom with a huge glass-beaded shower curtain. Built-in barazas on the veranda are perfect for afternoon siestas and private beach salas feature traditional Zanzibari loungers’ ideal for languid….
hours spent on the beach. Mnemba Island is reached by a ninety minute drive from Stone Town through the lush spice plantations that cover main Zanzibar Island. Wade knee-deep in the balmy ocean waters to board a waiting boat for a twenty minute crossing to a warm island reception. Pure barefoot bliss is the allure of Mnemba, where dawn is greeted by the song of doves and the smell of coconut bread baking in a wood stove.
Thatched dining and sitting or bar areas boast beautiful open views of the beach and spectacular vistas of Zanzibar beyond. Baskets of fresh fruit, fish, lobsters, crabs and prawns sail into Mnemba daily on traditional ngalawa outriggers. Lunch is often served on large wooden carved Zanzibari platters heaped with delicious mezze. Romantic candlelit dinners are served on the beach, with the waves lapping gently at guests’ feet. Private beach picnics delight newlyweds and not-so-newlyweds alike.
More than 1,200 years have passed since the silhouettes of three-cornered Arab dhows were first spotted on the Indian Ocean waters washing Africa’s eastern shores. These traders came across an island of such exquisite beauty that they filled their parchment manuscripts with tales of its picturesque sights. This scented land of coconuts and spices was so idyllic that the Sultan of Oman decided to move the seat of his empire to these shores, which they named Zayn Zal Barr, meaning ‘fair is the island’. Today the Zanzibar Archipelago is still bathed in the heady scents of cloves and cinnamon and traditional dhows still drift across the horizon.
Days at Mnemba Island can be as active or as leisurely as you want them to. This private island paradise, with its white beaches and balmy Indian Ocean waters, invites you to lose all track of time. Activities and meals can always be tailor-made to your wishes and there are many ways to spend each ideal, sun-washed day.
AT A GLANCE
- 12 beachside bandas including a family banda
- 12 salas
- Overhead fans
- PADI dive school
- Beach shop
- Private island getaway
- Barefoot luxury
- Variety of dive sites and easy availability of boats
- Ideal for swimming and snorkeling
- Beautiful beach walks
- Ideal for romance and relaxation
- House reef can be reached without a boat
- Outstanding marine life
- Situated in a marine conservation area
- Surrounded by a coral atoll
- Inhabited by suni antelope and Ader’s duiker
- Turtle nesting sites and hatchlings
- Swimming and snorkeling directly off the beach
- Incredible diving with great coral reefs and sheer wall dives
- Dolphins and endemic Indian ocean species
- Rare coconut crabs
- Activities include swimming, snorkeling, diving, water sports, fishing to name but a few
- Dhow cruises
- In-room massages
- All Inclusive: 3 meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirits and beer, safari activities, laundry
- Wi-Fi internet access in guest areas
- 220v AC power
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- 2019 - #2 IN TOP 5 AFRICA RESORT HOTELS - TRAVEL & LEISURE
- 2019 - BEST IN CONSERVATION AT RESPONCIBLE TOURISM - TANZANIA TOURISM
- 2016 - RUNNER-UP IN THE BEST MARINE SAFARI EXPERIENCE (AFRICA) AT THE SAFARI AWARDS 2016
- 2014 - LISTED IN CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER GOLD LIST 2015: TOP HOTELS IN THE WORLD